Should diabetes medication be changed after an angioplasty?

Hi Doc I am 70 year old, diabetic since 25 years. Taking Glimsave M2 Forte twice a day plus Lantus insulin 24 units a day. Underwent angioplasty. Do you suggest change in medication. XXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: If Blood Sugar Under Control , No change required Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. In fact , Glad to hear that you are so concerned about your health. Change in these medication for diabetes is not required if : 1. Your Diabetes is under control 2. Your Kidney functions are normal. I suggest you to get the following investigations to check for diabetes status and to see any other complication of diabetes: 1. Hemogram 2. Kidney Function Tests 3. Blood Sugar - Fasting and Postprandial. (Do take your regular medications after breakfast , 2 hours prior to Postprandial level sampling) 4. HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin) 5. Urine for Albumin 6. Fundus examination to see for any eevedence of Diabetic Retinopathy. 7. Lipid Profile. I suppose since you have recently underwent Angioplasty , these investigations must have been donr. If your HbA1c and KFT are within normal limits , then you may continue with same medications. If not , will discuss treatment plan accordingly. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD