Should both Atorvastatin and Simvastatin be taken after installation of stents in Heart?

my husband was prescribed simvastatin 20 mg. I tab daily. he went to the hospital and 3 stents were installed in his heart. the hospital docs prescribed atorvastatin, 40 mg. tab daily. should he be taking both? he is 80 years old.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your husband should take only one of them... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query and understood your concern. Atorvastatin and simvastatin are medication in the group of statins that are used in Ischemic Heart Disease to treat dislipidemia and to prevent re closure (re-stenosis) of the stent. Your husband should take only one of them because they have the same effect. If i was your treating doctor i also would give your husband 40 mg of atorvastatin and should advise to quit the simvastatin. Hope it answered to your query! Wish you and your husband a good health! Dr. Benard