Should blood test be done for child's recurring fever?

Hello doctor, My 5 year old son had a high fever(101-103) on Friday evening and Saturday, completely normal on Sunday. On monday again he has fever (99.5) till Tuesday early morning. He has absolutely no other pains, issues in the body. He is given the below medicine: 1. Clamp Kid Dr. Reddys (Dispersible amoxicillin and potassium clavulanate tablets BP) 2. Alerid Syp - Cipla (cetirizine syrup ip) 3. Crocin suspension DS (paracetamol oral suspension ip) As the fever is returning, should I visit lab for a blood check-up? Or wait for another 1 day to complete the medicine course? Thanks in advance, XXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: continue full course. Good hydration Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for using HCM. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Since his fever came down and is on antibiotic, better is to wait till the course of antibiotic to be completed. As he has no other illness he may be recovering or suffering from viral infection. If viral this will be relieved in 4-5 days. For my patients if the fever returns even after 3 days of Dispersible amoxicillin and potassium clavulanate tablets and if I don't find any specific signs and symptoms then I usually advice to get done WIDAL (to check for typhoid), Peripheral smear(for malaria) and complete haemogram. You can also do the same. For now you can continue full course of Clamp Kid (3 days), Stop alerid syp if no running nose or cold. Crocin syp should be continued for fever 4 times a day and the dose should be 15 mg / kg. If less the syp may not work. Give only warm water and good hydration. Hope this information helps you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Regards