Should an antidepressant be used before electroconvulsive therapy?

It has been said that antidepressants are also the mainstay of inpatient treatment and, when considered together with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), represent the first line of treatment for the most severe and incapacitating forms of depression. My question is even with positive and immediate result ECT treatment should be followed with ongoing antidepressant medication, of which I would use an SSRI. Would you try an antidepressant before you used ECT? It is also done outpatient, what is your opinion about such use?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 days later

Thanks for questioning Health care magic

In cases of severe depression ECT is helpful (for speedy recovery, in short term).

Antidepressant need to be continued for stipulated period.

Sometimes, before trying ECT, one can try Antidepressant for adequate period and in adequate dose.

However, if someone is suicidal, gross neglect of self-care, psychomotor retardation, combining ECT with antidepressants are preferred, usually

Hope I could be of some help in clarifying your confusion

I am available for further discussion

Wish you a good mental health