Should a person with thyroid problems undergo C-section or a normal delivery?

Question
Hi, my sister age 23 is a Thyroid patience, presently she is on medicine and her thyroid is normal. However she is carrying (8 months 2 weeks) and doctor is advising for sysrine instead of normal delivery as the water in her body is very low. My concerns are :
1.Can we have sysrine for a thyroid patience because it's about harmonal imbalance just want to ensure there isn't any problem.
2. Is it ok for a baby to have mother's milk after birth as she is suffering from thyroid disease.
Appreciate if this can be responded at the earliest as the operation has to undergo in next couple of hours. thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Child Birth

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 27 minutes later
Hi AAA
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Your sister is having a complicated pregnancy with thyroid disorder(I assume it is hypothyroidism, if not please let me know) and Oligohydramnios which is a condition where the fluid around the fetus is less than normal and can frequent lead to complications if delivery is delayed.
So your doctor has decided for the Cesarean Section.
The thyroid patients can undergo Cesarean section safely if the T4 & TSH levels are in normal range.
She can feed the child without any problem.
In fact the first breast milk feed should start as soon as possible after birth, and the first milk should not be discarded as is common misconception in public.
I hope the advise would be helpful and reach you in XXXXXXX of time.
I wish your sister a great health!

Follow-up: Should a person with thyroid problems undergo C-section or a normal delivery? 15 minutes later
thank very much for your prompt response!
Her latest TSH and T4 were in normal range when we had her test done last month.
Understand Anesthesia is used in Cesarean but still would like to confirm with you if Anesthesia can be used for such patience?

Awaiting for you quick response.

Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Hi AAAA
The anesthesia medicines of today's Medical practice are quite safe and can easily be administered in such patients without much difficulty.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.
Wish your sister a good outcome and through recovery.!

Follow-up: Should a person with thyroid problems undergo C-section or a normal delivery? 46 minutes later
Thank q. She has has delivered a healthy baby boy!

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
AAAAA
I hope she is hail and hearty now and your anxiety must have resolved by now.
Hummm, lekin yahan bhi mithaiyan jarur bhej XXXXXXX bhaiyaji ha ha ha!
Wish all of you, a great health!

Follow-up: Should a person with thyroid problems undergo C-section or a normal delivery? 22 hours later
Firstly my apologies for too many follow ups. Hoping you don't mind.

My sister has been going through the severe pain in one of her feet from a few months. Initially we thought that might be due to the baby she was carrying,however, the it's getting worse and worse. Would be grateful if you could advise the reason for the same. Thanks

Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
It seems that she is having a problem related to the discipline of Orthopedician, I would advise you to put a speciality query for an Orthopedician.
Personally I think she is having a compression of her sciatic nerve or nerve roots at spinal origins and would need physical exam and investigation for a good diagnosis
Wishing your sister a great health!