Should Sulfa be taken for bladder infection despite stomach ache and nausea?

ENT Specialist
I have had a bladder infection for a couple of weeks and my doctor gave me a prescription for it called “NITROFURANTOIN.” He first gave me Sulfa, It made my stomach ache and I felt a little nausiated so I took just one half of each pill which didn’t do much. I am afraid to take this new prescription because of the 35 bad side effects. The phamacist said it would either make me feel better or worse. I am not feeling well either from this bladder problem. Every day for the last two weeks when I have tested my urine it always shows up red. Could it be because of deppression? I just lost my husband 5 months ago after being married 60 years and i feel so lonely and like I am in another world. He was a wonderful husband and I miss him very much!! Should I be hesitant about trying this latest prescription? I have enough troubles now and don’t need to get worse from these 35 side effects from this new drug. I hurt frm under my ribs in my colon and bladder.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: nitrofurantoin perfectly safe Detailed Answer: Hello madam, All drugs come with side effects. Do not worry too much about side effcets of nitrofurantoin. This drug is used extensively as a first line drug for the management of urine infection. You should start taking it before the infection flares up. Sulpha drugs can cause gastric irritation but that should have been managed with antacids instead of taking half dose. Do not take less than the prescribed dose of antibiotics, it will do more harm. When you take less than the prescibed dose the organisms get a chance to develop immunity towards the drug, necessitating the use of another stronger antibiotic in a larger dose for a longer period. Please take the prescribed amount of nitrofurantoin for the prescribed amount of time. If you have any questions regarding the drugs ask your doctor, the information on the internet is frequently wrong ,misleading and out of context. Also rememeber to have plenty of fluids. 3 -4 litres per day to clear the infection faster. Depression cannot cause urine infection. Do not hesitate to seek help of a psychiatrist to combat depression. Wide range of drugs with minimal side effects are now available to treat depression. Counselling also helps. It is just a matter of time. You will be OK. Good luck, Dr Rajkishori Godhi