Ask a Urologist   »  

Should I worry if I have bladder polyps?

Hi, I am a female age 41years old,170cm height and 80kilos weight, had an Ultrasound for my abdomen and pelvis and the result for the urinary bladder shows polypoidal mucosal thickening measuring 1.7x1.2cm in diameter arising from lower part of the right lateral wall, I've been feeling pain in my abdomen and in rare cases I see blood in urine,what could be the reason for that and should I worry?all other abdomen and pelvis organs seems normal but excessive bowel gases noticed!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Bladder polyps may present with pain abdomen, haematuria(blood in urine) but you need not worry.They are not always XXXXXXX

Risk factors include smoking,injury to intenstinal mucosa and being exposed to industrial chemicals.A parasitic infection (called Schistosomiasis) can cause bladder polyps (and an increased risk of bladder cancer) when the parasite eggs accumulate in the wall of the bladder. Men are affected more often than women.

Bladder cancer is unusual in adults under age 55. Because such growths can be cancerous(rarely), doctors usually recommend removing them with surgery by a cystoscope.

It is better to undergo a thorough general examination and biopsy of the polyp to rule out cancerous lesion. For this a small tube called cystoscope is passed and removed. This is sent for the Histopathological examination to a Pathologist who takes a 3 to 4 days to interpret. On the basis of clinical and pathological findings differentiation between polyp and cancerous tumors of urinary bladder can be possible.

Excessive bowel gas is an indication of bowel disturbance .Reducing gas in the bowel nearly always means making a change in the diet. If you suffer from gas problems, find out whether any specific foods are a cause.

Eliminate these foods from your diet, or consume them in limited quantities along with foods that are not gas producing.Consuming too much starch or protein tends to cause a lot of gas like red meat, fish, fowl, and diary products.

Hope my answer is adequate ,I am available for follow up should you have any more concerns.