Should I worry for nausea, sweating and slight crushing in the chest ?

I am a 34 years old female, non-smoker with 2 children. In the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing nausea, sweating (I don't usually sweat) and a slight crushing feeling my my chest. I had non work done in January for a non related issue that showed low B12 & Iron wich I have rectified with supplements. Although my doctor never mentioned it I noticed that my blood work showed an elevated cholesterol level of 6.18. This seems very high to me so I immediately changed my diet. Using Becel, more cholesterol free products and taking metamusil caplets daily. I'm not sure what else to do and I am not a person who runs to the doctor for every little twitch that I may have. Should I be more concerned and rush to my doctor? Do you suspect a possible blockage?
Thank you,
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

Given your history of elevated cholesterol levels and these symptoms, although your age is defying it, yet any heart related issues and an angina pain needs to be ruled out which is a condition in which your heart doesn't get enough blood flow and oxygen. It may be a prelude to a heart attack.

The symptoms of unstable angina include sudden tightness of chest and arms which may last for 15-20 minutes and occurs without cause. Hence it is better to consult a cardiologist and get an EKG, Echocardiography, stress ECHO and probably an angiography done to find out the degree of obstruction in the coronaries. Further management will depend on these reports.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.