Should I worry about heart attack if I have chest pain?

ENT Specialist
I am a 34 year old female that smokes and I have been having chest discomfort and pain for the last 2 days should I be worried that it is a heart attack
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms of heart attack include squeezing type of chest pain with sweating and nausea/vomiting. The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc. Heart attack is unlikely to develop at a young age of yours, even though you have a smoking history.

The chest discomfort you are experiencing could be because of acidity which is commonly noticed in the smokers. Acidity with the features of acid reflux will present as chest discomfort, eructation, with or without burning sensation in the chest and more so after meals.

If you feel the chest discomfort is really troublesome and it could be a heart attack, you can get the following investigations done so that your doubts will be cleared.
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
Follow-up: Should I worry about heart attack if I have chest pain? 36 minutes later
What could be causing that dizzness and brain fog that I experience everyday. I have had for the past 3 years. I have no telling how many CT scans and MRI'S and they did not show anything could this be inner ear related? This is making my life miserable. Thank you for all your help.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Dizziness could be due to various etiologies, such as brain related, cardiac condition, hypo/hypertension (decreased or increased blood pressure), hypo/hyperglycemia (decreased or increased blood sugar), inner ear issues, spinal problems, etc. The cause of the dizziness can be found out with a thorough history and a proper evaluation by various specialty doctors.

In your case, one of the causes could be the smoking as all the other tests are normal. Smoking increases the viscosity of the blood leading to reduced blood supply to the essential organs in the inner ear and the brain. Blood supply to the inner ear and brain is through micro-blood vessels and whenever the viscosity of the blood increases there will be difficulty in transportation of blood through these minute blood vessels, hence reduced supply to those vital organs leading to dizziness, ringing sensation in the ear, discomfort in the head, etc.

You would require, labyrinthine sedatives such as Cinnarizine/Betahistine which will improve the blood supply, B-complex vitamins to nourish the nerves, drink plenty of water and abstain from smoking.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N