Should I use progressive lenses or reading glasses or only distance glasses?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
I PRESENTLY USE PROGRESSIVE LENSES AND LIKE THEM. WILL IT BE DIFFICULT OR ADVISABLE TO USE ONLY A READING LENSE OR ONLY A DISTANCE LENSE FOR THOSE TIMES THAT I'M ENGAGED IN THOSE ACTIVITIES. EAXAMPLE, I HAVE WIDE BOLLE SUN GLASSES THAT USE AN INSERT, (WALKING IN THE WOODS, BIKING OR DRIVING CROSS COUNTRY) IS IT BETTET TO SPEND THE MONEY FOR PROGRESSIVES OR REGUALR DISTANCE LENSES.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is better to use progressive lenses. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed the history given by you. You want to know whether to use progressive lenses or to use only reading glasses or only distance glasses. Progressive lenses provide vision at near, intermediate, distance and at all distances just like our normal eyes and hence they are the best when compared to only reading glasses or only reading glasses. The problem with only reading or only distance glasses is that normally our daily activities require good vision at near and distance and also at all the distances between near and distance and these glasses will not help and it is cumbersome to use near glasses, distance glasses and for all distances between distance and near. Though progressive lenses are costly, they are the best mode of correction. They correct vision for all our needs and provide comfort. Once a person starts using progressive lenses and likes them as you yourself mentioned, it is very difficult to use separate glasses for separate works. Hence I advice you to go for progressive lenses. Though separate lenses for separate works looks as alternative to progressive lenses, it is not a practical solution. It makes things difficult and this gives correction only for distance and near, but practically we need good vision at all the distances between near and distance which is not possible to achieve with separate glasses. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you