Should I use Stolin gum astringent and Senquel-f for tonsillitis and pharyngitis?

Question
Hi, I have tonsilitis and possible pharyngitis. Should I use Stolin gum astringent and senquel-f? These have been prescribed by my dentist for gingivitis. Will these affect tonsilitis/pharyngitis negatively?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 35 minutes later

I am happy to answer your query.

I believe that Stolin gum astringent will irritate your tonsils and throat in a very uncomfortable way. The ingredients are harsh. Moreover, Stolin contains nothing that will speed the resolution of tonsillitis or pharyngitis.

Senquel-F is a potassium and flouride containing toothpaste for sensitive teeth and has no role in treating tonsillitis or pharyngitis.

I hope this answers your query. Do not hesitate to post a follow up question if necessary.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz

Follow-up: Should I use Stolin gum astringent and Senquel-f for tonsillitis and pharyngitis? 11 hours later
Thank you doctor! What should I do to get long term relief from tonsil irritation? Also my whole ENT region is very sensitive. I smoke occasionally.

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
If your condition is chronic, which means it has lasted for more than 2 weeks, then it should be properly evaluated by a doctor. All smokers are at risk for smoking related diseases of the mouth and throat. Recommendations for long term relief depend entirely on the diagnosis.
If this is an acute condition only, then you can take lozenges and tablet Crocin 1 tablet as and when and needed. You can also try disprins gargles and steam inhalation.
Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz