Should I tell the gynecologist I had an abortion?

Hi Doctors,

I was 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I had a medical abortion less than a week ago. I'm still bleeding a little more than my normal flow. I'd like to follow up with my regular GYN. Will my GYN know that I had an abortion or will it look like a miscarriage?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 minutes later

Its normal to bleed for a week or more in case of medical abortion.There may be passage of large clots also.This should gradually become much less.You should definitely follow up with your GYN.If you underwent medical abortion without medical advice then you need to tell your Gyn the truth immediately.There could have been medical consequences if you had this abortion without medical advice.You also need an ultrasound to check for remnants of conception.In which case,you may need a check curettage.

I urge you to see your doctor and be truthful about your condition so that you may get the correct treatment.