Should I take paracetamol every five hours for high temperature and mild headache?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015
Excellent

Question
Hi i have had a high temperature for last 2 days varying from 37.5 to 39. It feels its getting better but then goes up again. I have a mild headace and general aches and pains. I am a 34 year old male with type 2 diabetes. Is this a concern? And how long does the flu take to go away and do i need to keep taking paracetamols every 4-5 hours? Pls help i am a very anxious person.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Viral fever Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your query. Regarding the fever, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Is the fever associated with chills & rigors? 2. Any complaints of nausea, vomiting? 3. Is it associated with pain abdomen or altered bowel habits like loose motion? 4. Any recent history of cough, cold, rashes in the body? 5. Is it associated with burning sensation while passing urine? The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to Viral fever. Under such circumstances, it may take about 6-7 days for the fever to go away. Given the history that you are a diabetic, it is important that you keep the blood sugar levels under control during this time. Since the fever is intermittent & persisting for more than 2 days, it will be better to get certain investigations like complete blood count, peripheral smear for malaria parasite & dengue check to rule out other causes of fever. Till then, symptomatic relief can be obtained with tepid sponging & intake of analgesic-antipyretic preparation like Paracetamol 500 mg to be taken thrice a day (after meals). There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Make sure that you maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status, take complete rest & avoid stress. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.

Follow-up: Should I take paracetamol every five hours for high temperature and mild headache? 1 hour later
Chils Havent travelled Assoviated with slight headace Slight burning while urinating.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your follow up query. The symptoms like burning micturition & fever with chills can be attributed to Urinary tract infection. So, urine examination needs to be done in addition to the investigations as mentioned in my previous answer. Though symptomatic relief from fever and headache can be obtained with paracetamol, the underlying cause needs to be treated & you need to take a course of antibiotic if any infection is detected in the investigations. Till then, drink plenty of fluids, avoid acidic foods, carbonated drinks & maintain good hygiene. Wishing you a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.

Follow-up: Should I take paracetamol every five hours for high temperature and mild headache? 34 minutes later
Uti has been ruled out. I am getting chills and little headache. How long do these things last? And is it true that it gets worse before getting better?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your follow up query. It is relieving to know that UTI has already been ruled out. Viral fever usually lasts for 6-7 days. But if the fever is due to any other cause (like Malaria, Dengue, etc.) then it will persist till the causative agent is removed. And as I have already mentioned, it is important that you keep your blood sugar levels under control during this time. Increased blood glucose acts as a medium for the growth of bacteria & other infective organism in the body. So, if the Glycemic status is not kept under control, the fever causing agent will persist for comparatively longer time. Fever does not get worse before getting better. If it is getting worse, it indicates that the underlying cause is persisting & the medications are not able to eradicate it. So, it will be better to get the investigations like complete blood count, peripheral smear for malaria parasite & dengue check to rule out other causes of fever. In case of any significant finding in the reports, a proper clinical examination will be needed to detect the foci of infection in the body. So that appropriate management step can be taken against it. Wishing you a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.