Should I take medicine for high blood sugar level?

ENT Specialist
My blood sugar level is 136. I am not taking any medicine. Should I take a medicine?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The normal blood sugar levels are as follows:
Fasting blood sugar: 80 – 100 mg/dl
Post-prandial blood sugar: 120 – 140mg/dl

Presuming your blood sugar levels to be of post prandial levels, it is well within the normal range. So, there is no need for any medicines and you can control your blood sugar with food and exercises. If there is any family history of diabetes then you should be much more careful and get the blood sugar checked at least once in 6 months.

Regarding the present situation, you can plan your diet with less of carbohydrates and more of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and proteins. Do exercises or go for a walk regularly, this will help in maintaining the blood sugar levels within the normal range.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: Should I take medicine for high blood sugar level? 34 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I tried to put more deatils in the form, but due to some 'gotcha', the site did not record everything. Let me repeat here.

I am a male / 59 years / 5'-6"/ weight 72 Kg/ waist 35", working in IT industry and hence less physical exercise.
I have been having regular executive check up. About 3 year sback, my sugar level showed Fasting level as 117 and PP 250+. Cretenin level was also marginally high. I was advised by my doctor to undertake regular 1 hr brisk walk and diet restriction for carbohydrates and sugar. I followed these regimes for about 6 months but could not continue due to practical reasons. I am following diet restiction to very practical level (mango is an exception, as I can't resist).
Recently I checked my fatsing sugar (by myself at home) and it showed 136. I don't have any other symptom. I am fairly active and energetic, although I do feel a little tired after say playing a TT game for 30 minutes.

I wish to know if I should start taking medicine. Please note my sugar level of 136 is fasting not PP.

Welcome back

According to the present blood report, the Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) level is 136mg/dl, which is slightly above the normal range. Compared to your previous results this report shows elevated levels of FBS.

As you have mentioned that you are unable to perform exercises for practical reasons, hence it would be wise enough to start on low dose of oral hypoglycemic drugs. Before starting on medications you need to repeat the test in the lab also and if the lab result also shows almost similar findings, then you will require medicines. If it is within the normal range, then you can continue with the diet restriction.

But, let me be XXXXXXX in telling you that oral hypoglycemic will no doubt help in reducing the blood sugar levels but not without few side effects.

“Exercise is the best medicine”, and stress control is of prime importance. Blood sugar levels are directly proportional to the amount of stress, more the stress, more is the blood sugar level. At this age of yours it is always better to keep away from medicines and concentrate on preventive measures.

Hope I have answered your query. I wish you Good Health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar