Should I take medication for osteoporosis?

I have osteoarthritus of neck and spine and just been told i have osteoperosis after bone scan will i need medication im only 39 seeing gp next week
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: For osteoporosis especially Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. First of all ma'am, I would like to start off by saying that osteoarthritis and osteoporosis are common ailments associated with women soon approaching menopause, and so I would suggest a check on your hormone levels ma'am. If your hormone levels are indeed found to be imbalanced, you may require medication to adequately correct this. Now coming to your query, both osteoporosis and osteoarthritis require medication, especially if they have resulted in the development of any symptoms or discomfort. Osteoporosis especially requires medication in order to prevent worsening of the general condition of the bone. Usually this is achieved with vitamin D, calcium, and other bone development boosting supplements. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.