Should I take insulin novomix before or after eating?

Aug 2012

insulin novmix units shall i take before brak fast and walking or after,,,? prenstly ia moniting blood suger daily 4time brak fast fasting ,,,after 2hours anh ater lunch bfore 2 horsdinner and ater 2 hours all most ....80 to120 between all most 10days regular check up,,,,,,,still dose 45units morning evening 30 to 35units but lunch and diner janumet1000 u think later dr advise under ican take insulin to change tablets possbile?my weight after4yers i gain weight 15kg addition bc insulin ihate but do ?now diating and reduced 2kg 10days time exercise 30mts,,,,?under medice which i said bfore concor2.5.zacor40mg.asprin twice,palvix75,,,neurobin... do advise omega 3aswell.....nice to here from u ur excellent advise giving us thans ineed urgent
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later

I have already replied on the same query to you like this:

The injection Novomix you take must be taken 10 minutes before breakfast and 10 minutes before dinner. A person with high sugars, when started on insulin, retains the good calories and puts on weight. That is what has happened to you. You can discuss the matter with your doctor like this: reduce your all meals by 30% and hence reduce the dose of insulin by 30%. If you experience low sugars frequently then straight away you can reduce the insulin doses to 38 units beofre breakfast and 26 units before dinner. Continue tablet Janumet 1000 both the times of the day.
I again did not understand your question: Do you want to say - ''Is changing from insulin to tablets possible?'' Please clarify. And if you want to ask so then please let me know:
- What is the duration of diabetes?
- What is your height and current weight?
- Do you exercise regularly?
Then I can suggest you more on reducing insulin and going on tablets and also to help you reduce your weight.
Your other medications like concor, zacor, palvix, neurobion, aspirin seem to be ok and omega 3 supplement is also fine but a few studies say supplement of Omega 3 fatty acids is not really very beneficial. Instead, you can have fish prepared in minimum oil/ butter.
I hope you got your answers. Please get back with the details I have asked.
Follow-up: Should I take insulin novomix before or after eating? 3 hours later
duration7yers dm dmtype2first sated tab and then 4 yers insulin....hight 5feet 7cm..yes exercise..30mtswalk,,,,,angioplater XXXXXXX 3stent 3week only ,,,,can ido sex with my wife,,,,and driving geeb possibleand yoga ?.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 10 hours later

You should continue insulin as of now and when you reduce your total calories by 30%, calculate and reduce all insulin doses by 30%. But do not stop it or replace it with any other tablets as of now. Please let me know your HbA1c report by next week. I shall be able to comment on adding a few good tablets that time. You did not mention your body weight.
For fitness about sexual relationship with your wife, please consult your Cardiologist only.
Driving vehicle and doing Yoga is perfectly fine at this stage.
Please get back for any further query. Take care.
Follow-up: Should I take insulin novomix before or after eating? 5 hours later
body weight 95kg,,,hight 167cm,hbaic,,,7.5,,,iam moniting daily every meals bf and after 2hours my ranfge 88 to 130mg...2weeks time.....
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
So you are overweight and need to reduce your weight further to bring down the load on your heart and sugars both. Please take one step at a time.
Your sugars are very good. You need to check your sugars only like this: fasting, 2 hour post each major meal like breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Please make a table in Excel sheet with columns of date, time, sugar reading, insulin dose taken, food name, food quantity etc and send it to me regularly and I will keep guiding on insulin doses.
As of now, please reduce your all meals by 30% right away and hence reduce the morning and evening dose right away by 30%. That means it will become- 30 units before breakfast and 22 units before dinner.
Once the food is reduced and insulin dose is reduced, you will start losing some weight and also will be able to keep the sugar reading same.
After that I shall review your Excel sheet table and can suggest on starting a type of oral tablet so that you can further reduce insulin dose. This is possible because you have diabetes only since 7 years.
Your HbA1c should fall further down to 7% and hence please walk for 30 more minutes every day.
I hope you got the answer. Please get back for any further query. Take care.