Should I take immunoglobulin after completing vaccination for rabies?

Hello Doctor, I was licked by an dog in my feet in two different location where there was an healed wound (defintely not raw or boeeding )Anyways I did not take chances and went to a doctor he said no vaccination is needed but I insisted and so he said to take three doses of vaccination but I wanted to get five .i have taken five doses till date on 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28.My question is should I need to be given immunoglobulin? My doctor said no and also said immunoglobulin is given only for severe biites and transdermal bites.Imuunoglobulin is not needed for licks he said.My another question is I put the 0th dose on the next day after lick and I put the 3rd dose a day later(some 10-12 hours later) and readjusted the schedule and put the 7hth,14th,and 28th dose a day later than the scheduled date as per my doctors advice he said the vaccines can be given plus/minus one day of the scheduled date and the schedule should be readjusted another question is I started with veritable but changed to rabipur from 3rd dose because of unavailability of very ran my doctor said it is Ok to change vaccines and both of these are cell culture vaccines and he said the vaccine in changed in practice due to unavailability,allergy to one of final question I am suffering from anxiety and ocd and this incident has triggered an ocd event and I am very terrified that I may get rabies.even after completing the vaccination I think like what if the doctor did not inject the vaccine properly or what if the vaccines fail like that Will I be protected and I will not get rabies rite?your thoughts would be helpful.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 49 minutes later
Brief answer...don't worry as you are not going to get any rabies. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Normally the practice is to give three doses of vaccine and dog is watched. If nothing happens to the dog after 10 days,then there is no need for completion of 5 injections. If you can find that the dog is all right,then there is absolutely nothing to worry and also since you have got all the 5 injections,there are absolutely no chances of rabies. As far as immunoglobulins are concerned,it is not needed by you becaue it is given in deep and lacerated wounds and not superficial licks or scratches,where injections are more than sufficient. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Should I take immunoglobulin after completing vaccination for rabies? 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your valuable answer Also I put the rabies vaccine 10to 20 mts after taking out from refrigirator but immediately put after reconstitution. I had delayed the schedule by one day but adhered to it completely after the revised schedule and I put the 3rd 7th 14th and 28th vaccines one day after the scheduled date. I interchanged the rabies vaccine and changed from vero rab which I took at the first dose And changed to rabipur for 3rd 7th 14th and 28th doses. So immunoglobulin is not needed in my case since I had only licks on two wounds rite? I can't keep track of the dog So all these will not affect my vaccine effect rite? I will not get rabies rite? Can I leave this issue and move on with my life????
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello, I have read all your issues and find that there  is nothing to worry at all. It is good to get all the five doses,if the dog can not be tracked. No problem in changing the brand name of vaccine. I assure you that you won't get any rabies. There is absolutely no chance of you getting the rabies. Forget the issue and move on. Thanks
Follow-up: Should I take immunoglobulin after completing vaccination for rabies? 32 minutes later
Doctor let us consider the wounds as open wounds(my wound was almost healed) and even if it is an open wound on two sites where the dog licked I took five vaccines and that is enough rite?For licks on open wound five doses of vaccines are enough rite? I WANT one final assurance from u doctor. Thank you for your help and I will not ask any further questions.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello, I assure you that these five injections are enough and is the protocol worldwide. There is absolutely nothing to worry regarding this. You are fully protected from rabies now. Thanks