Should I take emergency contraceptive pills every time I have sex?

I am 28 years old. I took i-pill yesterday after having sex a day prior. Now again today we had unprotected sex-- will the same I-pill taken yesterday will work or should i take another one now ?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 19 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

I-pill is an emergency contraceptive pill and is not meant for regular use as it contains high doses of hormones, creates hormonal fluctuations and alters the regular cycle.

The pill which you took yesterday is not going to provide protection for other consecutive intercourse sessions as it is only meant for single use. Regular pill intake can cause breakthrough bleeding and other side effects as nausea, vomitting, breast soreness etc. Also your next period might be delayed by a week or so.

After taking the pills since your regular cycle would be disturbed continue using additional protection further as chances of pregnancy are possible and it may take 2 to 3 cycles for periods to be regularized. Consider using other contraceptive methods as oral pills, IUD etc for regular use.

Hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Should I take emergency contraceptive pills every time I have sex? 34 minutes later
My last period was on May 30th. Since i have taken an i-pill day before yesterday night, will it be ok if i take one more today. Currently I am breast feeding also. Does it do harm to my child on taking consecutive pills? Will there be any harmful or long term side effects like problems in coming periods or complications in next pregnancy or any severe hormonal imbalances. If at all, l how long it takes to nullify these side effects?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up,

Considering your cycle duration to be of 28 to 30 days the current days would probably be your ovulation days so chances of pregnancy are high.You can take another pill for protection from pregnancy.
The pill contains hormonal preparations which can reduce breast milk production and child may be cranky so keep a watch on his feeds,also it might pass from milk in small quantity to child.
It cannot cause any severe hormonal imbalance or disrupt the next pregnancy but for 2 to 3 cycles the hormones may be deranged and then regular periods would start.

Discuss with your Gynaecologist regarding regular contraceptive options suited for you.
Condoms are the best first method, because it is generally safest during breast feeding.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Should I take emergency contraceptive pills every time I have sex? 30 minutes later

I am not sure whether anything happened which can really cause pregnancy. If the intake of pill has nothing to do , ie pregnancy may not happen even if i don't take the pill , just out of doubt i am having it. In that case i am taking a dose of medicine which is not actually needed for my body. Will that cause any problem?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks again

Previously you had mentioned that you had unprotected intercourse so in that case it is better to take the pill.It prevents ovulation,fertilization and sprem penetration so if that is not required it would be excreted from the body by itself.

Take Care!