Should I take contraceptive pills before having intercourse as a precaution?

May 2014

My period was on 12 july, now i wanted to start taking familon,it wil be effective if I start taking the tablets now on and can go for a sexal intercourse within a week
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Femilon is an oral contraceptive pill containing desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol. Most of these pills may give protection after just one week from the day you start taking them. However, since you have just started taking femilon, it would be wise to ask your partner to use condom or you could use any other method like spermicidal use for the first month. This will make you safer against getting pregnant.

This is because these pills alter hormone levels in the body and it may differ for every woman. After one cycle of the pills, the rate of protection is greater.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr Vivek