Should I take Thyronorm before my blood test?

Hello Should I take medicine (Thyronorm 50 mscg) before my blood test (TSH & FT4)? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX No, it is not required to take the medicine before the blood test. You should take the test on overnight fast, without taking anything except water, by mouth. Hope this helps. Regards,
Follow-up: Should I take Thyronorm before my blood test? 4 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your quick response. I have done by TSH & FT4 test yesterday without taking anything. My report shows: FT4 - 2.49 TSH - 0.00 Since 1.5 year I am taking thyronorm 50mcg tablet every day without fail. But am not able to find the reason for increasing in the Throid problem. Can you please suggest me? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: mutifactorial approach is advised Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Your FT4 is normal. Is your TSH 0.00? If possible, please upload the report on the right side of this query page. It would be much easier to interpret. The dosage of Thyronorm needs to be adjusted every 6 months depending on your body needs. It may be increased or decreased. It depends on the TSH levels, and your body demands. Apart from this, you must exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet. This will keep your body in good health along with optimal thyroid hormone levels. Please let me know the correct value of TSH to help you better. Regards,
Follow-up: Should I take Thyronorm before my blood test? 9 minutes later
Once again thank you so much for your reply I have uploaded the report. It is showing TSH - 0.00. Pleae look into the report & suggest me. Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: over - treatment Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for uploading the report. That helped a lot in understanding better. Yes, your TSH is 0.00 and your free T4 is 2.49. This means to say that there is little or no TSH hormone that is produced in your body, and gradually your T4 levels are increasing. It could be due to over treatment with thyronorm 50mcg. Perhaps, you require a lesser dosage of 25mcg for the same. Please get back to your treating doctor and discuss about reducing the dosage of your thyronorm. Your thyroid problem is not increasing; it is probably being over-treated. Please get it checked. You must review with a medical endocrinologist and get this re-evaluated. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Should I take Thyronorm before my blood test? 30 minutes later
Thank you once again for your answer. Thanks a lot for your suggestion & clarification. Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX It's my pleasure to help you. You are welcome. Thank you too. Take care