Should I take Sudafed while I am pregnant?

What's your opinion about taking sudafed while pregnant? (the regular non drowsy pseudoephedrine)
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 58 minutes later

Could you let me know what is your trimester? I would like to avoid most medicines in the first trimester.

Sudafed in Over the Counter (OTC) Decongestant used for Nasal Congestion. Initially it used to have pseudoephederine but now it has phenylepherine. I believe that Sudafed with pseudoephederine no longer available because of the ban on pseudoephedrine. Whether phenylepherine has any decongestant effect or not is still controversial.

The decongestant effect of plain steam is better. So instead of taking phenylepherine which may or may not work and give you a placebo effect you may just do steam inhalation. This has immense effect during pregnancy and zero side effect profile except for skin burns if you do not take proper precautions.

Also warm water gargling with salt is very effective. Take plenty of hot liquids like soups.

Wish you Good Health and Happy Pregnancy.
Follow-up: Should I take Sudafed while I am pregnant? 7 hours later
Thx for your response. I am 23 weeks currently. I am talking about the sudafed that is pseudoephedrine however.. Not the one you referenced. No other decongestants work for me ( I've tried EVERYTHING!). Pls share your thoughts. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back,

After first trimester, most of the organs of the child have developed. The genetic structure is in place.
So very essential medicines can be taken if all natural methods fail steam inhalation, warm water gargling with salt and hot liquids like soups.

Since the risk of taking SUDAFED cannot be ruled out , it could be taken in situations were benifits over weigh the risk.

Kindly take SUDAFED in minimum required quantity.

Wish you a safe confinement.
Follow-up: Should I take Sudafed while I am pregnant? 8 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later
Have a safe pregnancy and congratulations in advance.