Should I take Practine to gain weight as I cannot go to the gym?

General Surgeon
I am a male with Body Mass Index nearly 16.5 (5' 11" and 50 kgs).
Due to hectic work schedule I cant continue doing gym.
Earlier I tried some hardcore exercise and diet routine but was able to gain 7-8 pounds in 3 months.
Now I am planning to take Practine once a day after dinner, for gaining weight.
I do not want to take steroids at all and after some R&D, I think practin (cyprheptadine) could be worth a chance.
What do you suggest?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later

Thanks for nice query.     

Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of certain natural substances in the body like histamine and serotonin.

Cyproheptadine has many side effects like drowsiness,as is common with first-generation antihistamines.

Research has also shown a suppression of growth hormone with high doses of 8–12 mg per day used for 5 days.

common side effects include

Blurred vision
Dry mouth, throat, or nose

Cyproheptadine is rarely used as an appetite stimulant or for weight gain.

In my opinion cyprohepatine should not be used to gain weight, as it has many side effects.

It is better to improve your dietary intake. Include plenty of high quality proteins and high calorie diets.

Steroids should never be used for weight gain.

It is always good to spare some time for ones body out of our busy schedule, when body does so much for us.

So gym and diet are much better choice than cyprohepatidine.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”.