Should I take PLAN B after unprotected sex?

Mar 2013
Hi I had depo shot about 10 days ago and was not sexually active so I didn't get a lot of info on it. I had unprotected sex yesterday but he didn't ejaculate. I hadn't had my period yet when I got the shot. Should I take the plan b for extra safety? Don't want to get pregnant.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: YES, TAKE PLAN B. Detailed Answer: Hello THanks for writing to us with your health concern. After a Depo shot, it takes a couple of weeks for the hormones to start acting and confer protection against pregnancy.. Yes, you should take the Plan B for extra safety. All the best and take care. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Should I take PLAN B after unprotected sex? 2 minutes later
Will plan b cause lots of bleeding I haven't had my period yet and thought it may be stopped due to depo?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: WITHDRAWAL BLEED MIGHT OCCUR. Detailed Answer: If you had got the Depo Shot within 5 days of your period, it would have started acting within 24 hours. As such, you need to take Plan B to be completely safe. Yes, plan B has a possibility of resulting in withdrawal bleeding in a few days. It will not cause ' lots ' of bleeding - not more than a typical average period. This is also not the rule, you might not have it because of the Depo , but yes, chances of a withdrawal bleed do exist. Take care.
Follow-up: Should I take PLAN B after unprotected sex? 32 hours later
I took plan b one step but don't have any symptoms.i took it within the 24 hours. I've been on depo for about 9 days when I had sex. I am really concerned. Don't want to get pregnant. Should I be ok? What is percent that I may be pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Brief Answer: 95 % PROTECTED AGAINST PREGNANCY. Detailed Answer: See, you cannot really consider the Depo as you had the shot before your periods, so you cannot establish any protection from that. Regarding plan B, when taken within 24 hours, it is more than 95 % effective in preventing a pregnancy, so you should be fine. Dont worry.
Follow-up: Should I take PLAN B after unprotected sex? 39 hours later
Hi, sorry to keep asking questions but I'm still worried. Period was supposed to start Monday 21st( last one started on Dec.20th).started depo on XXXXXXX 9th. I'm not having any plan b symptoms. Is it working?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Please dont apologize for the questions, ask as much as you want. You might not have the period as expected, because of the Depo plus the Plan B. Its alright not to have any symptoms, many women dont. That does not mean it is not working. It would definitely work if you have taken it. A pregnancy test should be taken 3 weeks after unprotected sex, if you do not have your period by then. Take care.