Should I take Garcinia Cambogia, Tangy Tangerine for hepatitis C infection?

I have hepatitis C and I'm thinking of starting some supplements, namely garcinia cambogia, Tangy Tangerine, nascent iodine, milk thistle, and a daily dose of unfiltered XXXXXXX cider vinegar, honey, and cinnamon. They all seem like they would be good for my liver besides the other benefits they offer. What are your thoughts on this.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lots of supplements Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Curiously, I answered this morning a question about milk thistle, which classically has been appointed as beneficial in patients with liver disease, but a Cochran Review of the evidence behind 13 randomized trials conducted in 2005 did NOT support that; I was telling that patient, the same way thay I tell you XXXXXXX that most of the time we do not know the exact ingredients in these supplements, as opposed to pharmaceutical products, lets say that interferon, that you know only contains that active ingredient plus the excipients (eg. vehicle in which medication is dissolved); there have been for example reports on milk thistle products contaminated with mushroom toxins, which paradoxically can be deadly to the liver, and it makes some sense because the milk thistle plants are wild. Now, in terms of vinegar, hoeny and cinnamon, that should all be fine. There habe been some reports of Garcinia predisposing to bleeding. The best thing that you can certainly do for your liver? Give it as least work as possible, avoiding Tylenol, alcohol and other medications that have extensive liver metabolism. I encourage you to see your GI doctor again, as treatments for Hep C continue to evolve, and each year there have been advances. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology