Should I take Becosules? Had mitral valve replacement. Taking Multaq, Cardace, Acitrom and Ecosprin

Cardiologist, Interventional
Dear Doctor, I am taking cardiac medicines like a) Multaq 400 mg b) Cardace 2.5 mg c) Acitrom 2 d) Ecosprin 75 mg e) Dilgem SR 90mg f) Feuselerc and insulin for DM+ This is after my recent second open heart surgery done for Mitral valve replacement. I am used to take BECOSULES Forte. This one alone is without doctor's advise since it is just a B complex with vitamin C. Should I stop or can I continue? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

If your prothrombin time/international normalized ratio (PT/INR) is in the therapeutic range (between 2-3) with all these medicines, than there is nothing wrong in continuing with Becosules forte.

Infact, since you are diabetic and are receiving a diuretic (Fruselac ), you are likely to lose be low on vitamins. Thus it would a good idea to take a supplement. These supplements generally cause no harm and may not be of great help if you don't have a deficiency of vitamins.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow up questions.

Follow-up: Should I take Becosules? Had mitral valve replacement. Taking Multaq, Cardace, Acitrom and Ecosprin 5 days later

Thanks for your quick response Sir. By today I completed two months & fifteen days after the Mitral Valve replacement surgery, second open heart surgery for me; first being ASD + OMV done 26 years ago in Chennai. I am doing well. Becosules forte, as per the Wikipedia (web site drug description) shows impact on human insulin and Calcium content in the body. Since I am on insulin along with other mentioned Cardiac drugs, will it influence other drugs working on the body ? How much we should take the drug descriptions and their side effects given WEBSITE?

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
It’s great that you are doing well.
Becosules forte does have an impact on the action of insulin but this is of small magnitude and of little clinical significance, if at all it is positive.
By and large, i would caution you against using regular websites as source of medical information unless it is written and maintained by doctor, hospital or regulatory authority and has a HON code. You can see this code on the lower right hand side of the webpage. Blogs and personal websites generally comprise of perceived feelings of patients or plagiarized material and this information may or may not be authentic.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Warm regards