Should I stop taking Lipitor?

i am 66yr,male.very good healt,exercise a lot.
About 4 or5 yrs ago ny doctor precribed lepitor (20mg),because ldl was heigher than hdl although none where above XXXXXXX normal level.
Now hdl is 0.82 mmol/l and hdl is 1.34 mmol/l,both are thus below minimum level.Triglycerides are high at 2.41 mmol/l. Doctor said to continue statins.But i am woried and confused because i read that too low hdl is as XXXXXXX as high ldl.
Shouuld I stop taking statin lepitor.

Male,66 ,6feet,192 pounds,some fat aroud the waist.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

The cholesterol lowering drugs like statins lower only the cholesterol like LDL, Triglycerides and VLDL.

These drugs do not decrease HDL levels rather these help in increasing the HDL levels.

Since your HDL levels are decreasing you can add niacin supplementation to your diet to enhance the levels of HDL cholesterol. Do not stop taking the statins.

You should do some lifestyle modification measures like weight management and physical activity.

In addition to the low fat low cholesterol diet, you should add more soluble fibre in your diet.

Good sources of soluble fiber include oats, certain fruits (such as oranges and pears) and vegetables (such as brussels sprouts and carrots), and dried peas and beans. These measures are equally important to increase the good cholesterol.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.