Should I stop masturbating to prevent bleed in the brain?

Neurologist
Question
I am 73 yrs old. I am 102kls weight. I am very healthy or was ! I have had no illnesses. 3 months ago I was masterbating and I had a stroke (bleed) as I reached the climax. I am now scared to masterbate or have sex with my wife in case it happens again.I am now recovering but what should I do ? I take 1x5mg Coversyl a day.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Follow-up: Should I stop masturbating to prevent bleed in the brain? 7 minutes later
Is it your recomendation not to masterbate or have sex anymore ?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 11 hours later

Bleed in the brain in your age is commonly due to uncontrolled hypertension or fluctuating blood pressures.

Bleed can also be due to vascular malformations like aneurysm or arterio-venous malformations.

These usually bleed when blood pressure peaks which usually happens at the time of sex or orgasm.

So i would like to know few things like
1. Was the blood pressure diagnosed after your stroke
2. Where was the site of the bleed in the MRI
3. Was an angiogram done to see if you harbor any aneurysms in the brain
4. Do you have any holes in the heart.
5. Do you use any drugs like cocaine, amphetamines, Sildenafil citrate (sold as Viagra)

Please provide me these details and i will get back to you.

Wishing you god health.

Follow-up: Should I stop masturbating to prevent bleed in the brain? 15 hours later
Good Morning Dr. - My BP at time of stroke I was told was 160. Weeks before I was at my GP for a Flue Injection and it was 147. He was thinking of puting me on a BP reduction drug, but didn't. Just told me to keep an eye on it
The Bleed was on top of the head to the right, which I was shown on the MRI 3 weeks ago.( sorry don't know the medical location)at the outpatients appointment.
An angiogram was not done to my knowledge but the specialist did say that there was no signs of aneurysms on the MRI.
I have no holes in my heart.
I do not take any drugs at all(including Viagra) and never have, except what has been prescribed since the stroke.
My weight was 104kgs but is now 94kgs(not 102kgs) - I walk 400mtrs a day.
I take my BP every day.My BP. over the last 4 weeks has been XXXXXXX 138/67
Lowest 127/57. Average 135/57.
I was taking 1x40mg/day Lipitor as prescribed by the hospital immiediatly after the stroke. The specialist 3 weeks ago stopped that drug due to bad reports in connection with bleeds.
The Stroke was on the 6th May 2011 - today I get tired and light headed if I doo too much exercise or have a bad nights sleep. But when I sit down or lay down I feel good again.
I would put my leg now at around 70% from normal and my arm at 60% (left that is )
I look forward to your reply.
Alan XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later
Thanks for providing me the details.

As there are no aneurysms in your brain and blood pressure being normal on medication most of the times, i feel there is no problem in you having sex again.

Do keep your blood pressure below 140/85 mm of Hg.

Do not use any other medicines other than Blood pressure in the future.

Do continue to reduce your weight and exercise your arm and leg till you recover fully.

Follow-up: Should I stop masturbating to prevent bleed in the brain? 3 hours later
Hello Dr.
Many thanks for you opinion, I will take your advice in those areas,however I am going to have difficulty in making that decision to have sex once again after the near fatal happening last time. Somehow I am going to have to get past the 1st time to regain confidence that I won't have another stroke, or worse! I will be wondering if I am going to live! this is going to be a major decision for me. I realise you can't help me any further- its up to me I guess!!
Kind Regards
Alan XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 36 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Stroke (Intra-cranial bleed) happened to you because of overshoot in the blood pressure during the time of sexual intercourse because you were not on your BP medicines at that time.

Now you are on medicines and its very well controlled. So having sexual intercourse is safe now and will not cause problems like before. So be positive and you will be able to get back your confidence shortly.

Bye