Should I smoke marijuana after taking Zopiclone?

Question
Just wondering if I can/should/am able to smoke marijuana after having taken 15mg Zopiclone.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

I can understand your concern for taking Zopiclone and Marijuana together. Although there are no reported interactions between Zopiclone and marijuana but it has been stated that Zopiclone may increase the effects of marijuana on the central nervous system.

Moreover, marijuana abuse has been reported to be high in people who are taking Zopiclone. Considering these two, it is advisable not to smoke marijuana when you are taking Zopiclone.

Moreover, marijuana can lead to irregular menstrual cycles and can adversely affect the baby if the concerned lady is expecting a baby.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Should I smoke marijuana after taking Zopiclone? 14 hours later
Is there any situation or condition for which you find that smoking marijuana is beneficial? What is considered marijuana *ABUSE*? I find it's the only thing that prevents a sudden manic episode and helps my stomach settle by completely eliminating nausea. It also stimulates my appetite and reduces my food stress so that I can eat without feeling the need to purge. For sleep, marijuana helps me RELAX but it doesn't make me *sleepy* whereas Zopiclone makes me sleepy but not relaxed so general paranoia usually sets in and I still can't sleep. Thank you very much for your expert advice Doctor!

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

I understand what you say. It is true that uses of marijuana have been reported especially in the following cases:

1. Stimulate appetite and alleviate cachexia in HIV patients.

2. Control nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy.

3. Decrease intraocular pressure.

4. Analgesia.

5. Neurological and movement disorders in Parkinsonism and multiple sclerosis.

In spite of these uses, its side effects are numerous and hence it is a drug of abuse. We call it marijuana abuse when people have difficulty controlling their drug use and cannot stop taking marijuana and become dependent on them.

I encourage you not to take marijuana and instead spend more time with your family and friends so that your psychological and physical well being improves. You can also indulge in yoga and meditation.

Regards.