Should I see a doctor if I have headache and dizziness?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I am a 27 yr old male who had to leave from work early today as the room started spinning around me. I came home and went to bed after drinking a large glass of water. I woke up a little bit ago and still feel very dizzy and light-headed. I am usually a pretty healthy person and don't really have any allergies. I am not on any medications. I also feel as though I have a slight headache feeling, but after taking a temperature read with 2 different thermometers, I do not have a fever. Any idea as to what this is or whether or not I should see a doctor? One interesting thing to note: my boss returned from a trip to Cabo San XXXXXXX Mexico on Tuesday and mentioned that on the Sunday and Monday before his return, he was experiencing extreme dizziness as well but it went away without further complications for the most part. He said the last few days it has come and gone every now and then, but is much improved. Could he have brought something back with him?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Dear Rynoceris84,

Thank your for your query.

1. It is possible that your boss has a sub clinical viral infection that caused the dizziness. It is also possible that this is a coincidence as your age groups may be different.

2. You need to see a Neurologist and an ENT Specialist to differentiate between Central (Brain related) Vertigo and Peripheral (Ear related) Vertigo. A detailed history, examination and investigations such as ENG (Electro Nystagmo Graphy) may be required.

3. BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is the most common cause of peripheral vertigo.

4. Can you describe your vertigo in detail? Important details include relation to change of position, latency or a time interval before onset after change in position, vertigo on changing sides in bed, how long did the episodes last, did it persist on walking, any nystagmus (abnormal eye movements). Nystagmus cannot be observed by the patient. Is there any associated hearing loss?

5. Do you suffer from acid reflux? What is your blood pressure? Remember that cervical spondylosis can cause neck muscle spasm leading to vertigo. Your physician can also prescribe labyrinthine sedatives till your body re-sets. Viral labyrinthitis has no specific treatment and only supportive treatment is available.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.