Should I see a doctor after pain due to a massage?

Hi, I went to a Chinese massage therapist recommended by a friend, hoping to massage the neck to improve neck pain. I never tried this before. I told her I was new. But she was vey hard. I lied face down. After she massaged my neck muscles, she pressed on my head very hard, trying to loosen my "head muscles" or something. She pressed and she slapped my head, I could not take it so I asked her to stop and she finally stopped. My neck and head hurt and ached after that. I was terrified. I fear it may bruise my brain? Contusion?
I was so weak and tired, I could not eat that evening. My head felt swollen but I still had to sleep on my head somehow. That was Wed.

Today Sat, my head feels a bit better but I still have some headache. (On Wed it was worse on the left. Today I feel ache at the back of the skull, upper right) I still cannot bite hard on food, my biting muscle feels weak. It seems some facial muscles are weak.
It was traumatic for me. I'm a small person with weak muscles and I have a condition like fibromyalgia. I'm 5 ft 93 lb. 49yrs old. Do I need to see doctor? Should I do brain scan?

Also this morning, I was walking past a truck on a very narrow pathway, and there was a metal bar (for the side mirror) hanging out. I did not see it and my head hit the metal bar. It hit my right side of the head. It hurt. Will it cause XXXXXXX bruise or XXXXXXX bleeding? Any thing I should be concerned about?

Please help. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

Massage of the head and neck does not cause bruise in the brain. Only rough twisitng of the neck may disturb the blood supply of the brain which is not the problem with you. Hence if some one has cervical spondylosis and neck pain, one should do such kind of massage as it can worsen the condition. This is the reason for the pain on the back of the head. Hence forth do not try such kind of massages. It has not caused any damage to your spine and hence a scan is not required now.

If you develop any new symptoms like nause or vomiting, worsening headaches you need to see a neurologist and do a scan of the brain and the neck. Trivial hit on your head with metal bar also does not require any scan for evaluation. Use a mild pain killer with muscle relaxant and you will be fine in a day or two. If not consult for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Should I see a doctor after pain due to a massage? 17 hours later
Hi Doctor, Thanks very much for your reply! Just want to confirm, that therapist presssed very hard on my neck that I almost could not breathe, then she pressed down on my head as if she wanted to squish my scary! These sort of forces really really could not cause brain bruise or break the capillaries inside, right?

Is it correct that only forces like 25mph as those in motor vehicle can cause brain bruise or XXXXXXX bleeding?

Thanks very much!!!
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 20 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Only motor vehicle accidents or fall from a height can cause XXXXXXX bruise.

Unless you have any bleeding from ear, nose or any dizziness associated with vomiting you need not do any CT scan.

So do not worry as this has not happened to you.