Should I have double protection after having sex without penetration after taking a depo provera?
User rating for this question
hi doctor, I got depo provera shot and after 24 hrs had sex without condom and even no ejaculation into vagina. I am also lactating mother of 3 mth baby did not get any period till now since c section. do I need to have double protection?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: BETTER TO USE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTIVE PILL Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The Depo Provera shot would not start working within 24 hours. For the first month of using any hormonal contraceptive, you need to use a back up method of contraception, because it takes upto a couple of weeks for the hormones to provide you protection. You did not use a condom, and even if there was no ejaculation inside the vagina, pre ejaculatory fluid can carry some sperms , and put you at a risk for pregnancy. So yes , it is advisable to use an emergency contraceptive pill right now. That will ensure protection. Also, for the next 2 - 3 weeks atleast, use condoms to provide double protection. Mostly, mothers who breastfeed exclusively, do not ovulate , however, in some sporadic cases, ovulation has been reported as early as 6 weeks post birth. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
People also viewed
- Mannose binding lectin and dermatology
- Can i take oxy elite and birth controll pill together?
- Anyone pregnant after taking next choice
- Forgot to take 1 pill on tri sprintec birth control
- Mix birth control pills with herbalife
- Duphaston after depo provera
- Poly micro cystic after child
- Hives after depo provera
- Clomid after depo provera
- Liposarcoma and birth control pills
- Norethisterone after depo provera
- Taking microgynon after depo provera
- Cottage cheese discharge after taking postinor 2
- How to lower cholesterol after oophorectomy
- My chest hurts after taking postinor