Should I have a white-collar boxing bout? History of heart attack, quit smoking, BP fine, low cholesterol.

I had a heart attack four years ago and since then i have quit smoking and consider myself now to be super fit. I have been boxing for 3 years and now plan to have a white collar bout. Do you think i will be ok. I constantly have checks and blood pressure is fine aswell as low cholesterol.I have sparred regularly with no pain or discomfort. My diet is very good with minimum fat .I weigh 12.5 stone and am 5feet 9 tall which is my perfect weight for height
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on some recommendations and information for you here.

First of all congratulations I'm really improving your overall lifestyle to maintain optimal health. This takes a lot of work and determination and it seems like you have done it very well.

If you are exercising regularly and your blood pressure is under good control and you're visiting with your physician for periodic health maintenance exams I see no problem in you going forward to your boxing match. Unless you're having some worrisome symptoms including chest pain or shortness of breath with minimal exercise I see no issues here. Participating in the boxing match is what you have been working for all this time and I think your participation in that match will continue to fuel your desire to maintain good cardiovascular fitness.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert