Should I go to the ER for recurring pain on lower left side when suffring from kidney stones?

I have been diagnosed with several kidney stones. I keep taking pain meds and I am seeing a urologist on Friday but .not sure if I should go to the emergency room. I have a nagging pain on my left side below my waist that comes and goes. I was fine this morning but now its come back. Its not a sharp pain but a dull nagging pain that makes me bend over. could this still be the kidney stones?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this pain. The description of the symptoms is classical for renal stones. I would encourage you to continue with the pain medications and drink much water while waiting to meet your urologist as planned. These measures would help relief the pain and also help some stones to be washed out if the sizes are small enough to pass through the urinary system. When you meet the urologist ask him specifically what the various treatment options are. Also, kindly ask him to investigate into what the possible reasons for having multiple kidney stones is so that you can take measures to correct and prevent future recurrences. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Should I go to the ER for recurring pain on lower left side when suffring from kidney stones? 5 minutes later
I met with the urologist yesterday. I have a stone about 1 in in size blocking the opening and several small stones attached behind. They can't do surgery until the end of Feb. I am really concerned about having to deal with the pain for so long but I do t think I have a choice. If it becomes unbearable I assume if I went to the er that they would need to do something sooner. I am going good off my anti inflamitory meds now just on case.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for following up with me. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. I think we already discussed about this same problem before. Just like I mentioned, follow up with your doctors. I am sure they would do something earlier if you get into severe pains or a complication. February should be a guaranteed date if nothing else happens before the. I am happy to know you are doing good off these anti inflammatory drug. If any concerns, visit the ER and they would for sure intervene promptly. Thanks and I wish you the best of all possible outcomes. Dr. Ditah, MD.