Should I go to ER for pulmonary embolism and chest pain?

Pulmonary embolism .. I have chest pain on deep breaths and sometimes when moving. Went to pulmongist today to check she sent me for EKG and cArdiac blood and xray chest. All normal . I have had over 8-10 ct scans of chest and she didnt think i needed one . Doctor decides he was going discharging me. He did say maybe PE but i ahe was to comcerned becuae i said i wouldnt do a ct scan/ i am scared had this pain simce 12 noon yesterday . I am not short of breath , evertgyjng within range . I am afraid of PE ahould i go to ER again
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can opt for D-dimer testing Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Chest pain on deep breaths may be due to inflammation of pleural layer. Typical pattern is a localised pain which is sharp one and increases on maneuvers like deep inhalation, coughing, sneezing etc. Chest xray may be normal at times. If you are having fever or other suggestive symptoms and high blood counts, you may take an empirical antibiotic course with an analgesic... Since your ECG is normal, it is less likely to be a cardiac anginal pain. Pulmonary embolism may present with similar picture, this can be readily ruled out by a simple blood test called D-dimer. IF it is less than 500, there is no pulmonary embolism. The test can be done provided that you are not bed ridden for days, pregnant, have trauma, stroke these situation its level comes rising and it is false postive.... Do meet your doctor for the same... Best wishes