Should I go the ER for extreme nausea?

Jun 2015

I am having extreme nausea that wont go away, should I go to the er and if I do go what will they do?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide few details Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Regarding your nausea, kindly let us know about the following: 1. How did it start & since how many days is it present? 2. Is it continuous throughout the day or present only during certain period of the day? 3. Is it associated with sensation of giddiness or loss of balance? 4. Any complaints of acid reflux, pain abdomen, vomiting, altered bowel habit like loose motion or constipation? 5. Any recent history of acute illness? 6. Any past history of Hypertension, Diabetes or Thyroid disorder, etc.? 7. Any association with food intake, sleep disturbance or travel? 8. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? A knowledge of the above mentioned facts will be helpful to make a better diagnosis and formulate an appropriate management plan. Though symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of anti-emetics like Ondansetron preparations, the underlying cause needs to be treated. If it still persists, then you need to consult your Physician & get a complete clinical examination done. Investigations like Ultrasound scan of abdomen, upper GI endoscopy & vestibular function tests will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for your symptoms. Wishing you a good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Should I go the ER for extreme nausea? 43 minutes later
It just randomly started snd its present everyday. Its all day. No giddiness or liss of balance. I have been having bad heartburn. I have vomited. No acute illness. #6 no. #7 unsure. #8 no
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Attributed to Gastro esophageal reflux disease Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your follow up query. The symptoms can be attributed towards Gastro esophageal reflux disease. Investigations like Ultrasound scan of abdomen & upper GI endoscopy (as mentioned in my previous answer) will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis. Management consists of: 1. Lifestyle modification- like weight reduction, sleeping on the left side, or with upper body raised. 2. Dietary modification- avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, etc. 3. Medical management- Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. (which prevent acid formation in stomach) & antiemetic like Ondansetron or Metoclopramide preparations, to be taken under guidance of your Physician/ Gastroenterologist. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Make sure that you maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status, take complete rest & avoid stress. Wishing you a good health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.