Should I go for surgery in case of mild diffuse posterolateral disc bulge at l4- l5 along with mild facetal hypetrophy?

Spine Surgeon
Question
Should we go for surgery in case of mild diffuse posterolateral disc bulge at l4- l5 along with mild facetal hypetrophy,mildly compresing the thecal sac,with small annular tear at this level.
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 7 hours later

You may need to consider surgery only if
1. If the pain is radicular (radiating to leg)
2. If the disc bulge is on same side as radiating pain in leg
3. If the that particular root in question is seen significantly compressed (thecal sac may be mildly compressed, what matters more in posterolateral bulge is nerve root compression) - as seen on MRI scans
4. If the diabetes and hypothyroid are not the cause of your pain (Get nerve conduction velocities done in lower limbs).

Discuss with your treating doctor / spine surgeon about these factors and you can have your answer.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Should I go for surgery in case of mild diffuse posterolateral disc bulge at l4- l5 along with mild facetal hypetrophy? 33 hours later
Thank you for your unforgettable and most valuable advice.

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 1 hour later
You are welcome.

Hope you become fit and active soon.
If you have no more queries, please close this discussion.