Should I go for progesterone birth control instead of the combo due to my bad smoking habit ?

I am leaving for Jamaica on Oct 10th and will definitely have my period. I am 46 years old and smoke. I just got my period today so I was thinking of starting birth control Sunday continuously (no placebo) until I got back. But due to my age and bad habit of smoking should I do the progesterone only birth control instead of the combo BUT will it be as effective?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

Since you are a smoker the birth control pills will show a higher rate of failure as smoking induces their metabolism.

Whether you take a combination pill or you take a progesterone only pill, both of them will show an equal efficacy.

The progesterone only pill will help in delaying your periods if you take them continuously without a pill free interval but might sometimes be associated with an occasional spotting sometimes in the initial days.

You can use both types of pills. But at your age, progesterone only pill is a better option.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.