Should I go for kidney transplant or dialysis ?

hi Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX 34 year
2 weeks back I had high fever and Doctor told me to have blood test done. BP during that time was high around 200
Blood test report shows high level of cretainine @6.1
Sugar at the border and so does cholesterol.
They suggested immediate check with nephrologists. Two days later my cretainine came to 5.4.
I XXXXXXX one of nephrologists. He told that I need kidney transplant. I was shocked to here this, as I didn't have any problem. I am living like a normal person, how come I need a transplant.
Nephrologists informed me that I have only one Kidney as another (Right Kidney) is not present from childhood. He told me to do Reno gram test.
In the mean time I had another blood test, this my cretainine reduced to 3.9. I am not sure what going on. Does it say I should go for Transplant, or still it’s too early for that?
If any treatment is required, what shall I opt Dialysis or Transplant.
From past 10 days I am following a Diet as suggested for Kidney patient. I have no symptoms/problem so far.
Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 43 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations.

A creatinine of 6.1 represents an acute failure of the kidney. The specialists who saw you must have found a disease process which is not reversible. Sometimes the function of the kidney and creatinine may improve but not to the point where you could survive without dialysis

I think you should continue the workup and testing. At some point a biopsy may be done to confirm what is going on inside the kidney. Since you are so young I would choos transplant over dialysis. Once you start dialysis it means you need it three times per week for life. The transplant offers you a good alternative.

Again, proceed with the transplant workup and testing. If it is declared necessary I would go forward with the transplant given your young age.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is both helpful and informative for you. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga