Should I go for Rapid HIV test or PEP?

Dr, with regrads to my previois question, i was prescribed for PEP to reduce of the risk of HIV infection. I have a follwup question on this, some of the forum suggested for Rapid HIV test before starting the PEP, i wanted an advice here. If i go for RAPID test ?, i am still in 24hrs window. Thank XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Brief needs to be started within 72 hours of exposure Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. PEP means post exposure prophylaxis. Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) means taking antiretroviral medications as soon as possible after exposure to HIV, so that the exposure will not result in HIV infection.   PEP should begin within as soon as possible after exposure to HIV but certainly within 72 hours. Treatment with 2 or 3 antiretrovirals should continue for 4 weeks, if tolerated. PEP is unlikely to work after 72 hours and,in fact it never prescribed after that. Take your medicines regularly without missing any dose to prevent development of resistance towards medicines. You have to undergo a HIV test before starting the PEP to see whether one has HIV or not. If you don't agree to HIV test,you are not given PEP. You are tested for HIV again after completion of PEP course. Few hours of window period do not make any difference. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Should I go for Rapid HIV test or PEP? 5 minutes later
Sir, this is a follow up question and very IMP, which HiV test i have to gone through before taking PEP ? And i have result before 72 hrs ??
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
Hello, Rapid HIV test is extremely sensitive and specific and can be undertaken. Thanks
Follow-up: Should I go for Rapid HIV test or PEP? 19 minutes later
Thanks Doc, i did Rapid Hiv today its come -ve, i still have few hrs left in 24 hr completion. Can uou suggest if i can trust on the result. I have asked same Q with lab lady, she said because its just 24hrs you have to go through with test again. Kindly suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
Hello, Although a negative test is very assuring but to be doubly and absolutely sure,a repeat test may be undertaken. Take a repeat test.A negative repeat test would mean a absolute negative status. Thanks