Should I go ahead with surgery for breast fibroadenoma? Side effects? Will fibroids recur after surgery?

Oncologist
Question
I am 32 yrs old women .Height 5ft 4 inches. Weight 63 kgs. i have been diagnosed with fibroids in both breasts and advised surgery to remove them.
My history- I have a five yr old daughter , and I had two missed abortions and one laproscopy before her birth. I had another missed abortion after her birth in 2008. Recently have been diagnosed with oral herpes(around lower lip area) and I am taking valtoval twice a day for about 5 months now.
My question: my query is related to breast Fibroadenoma , as I have been advised to take surgery to remove those.(I have also attached my mammography and FNAC reports for your reference).
1. I want to know that should I go ahead with this surgery?
2.Will there be any side effects of surgey,in long term?
3.Will these fibroids can reoccur after surgery?
4.if I should go ahead with surgery , what is recovery time , and can you suggest a good doctor who can do it in LUCKNOW , UP , INDIA, as I live here. (preferably a lady doctor).
5.Can this surgery can be done by any surgeon or only a oncological surgeon can do it?
Thank you so much. Looking forward to your reply.
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through all the reports. You are having multiple fibroadenomas in both breasts with fibrocystic disease. Some of the lesions are upto 2.5 cm. This is entirely a benign condition and chances of turning into cancer is extremely low, infact close to zero.

Now, to answer your queries one by one...

A. Surgery is not something that is absolutely necessary in this scenario. If you want to get rid of the lumps you can certainly go for it, particularly if they are causing troubles. But you should remember that there are many lumps and the surgeon would remove some of the larger ones only.

A. Not really, but if attempt to remove many lumps are done, then it may lead to disfigurement of the breasts.

A. As I said, not all lumps will be removed and some of those left may grow later and new ones can also develop. However, chances of you requiring repeat surgery are low.

A. Unfortunately I don't know of any lady doctor in Lucknow whom I can recommend (I am sure there are many!). You can XXXXXXX Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (breast surgeon) at CSM medical university, Lucknow whom I personally know and can recommend with certainty. Recovery would be within a week at the most.

A. Any surgeon experienced in breast surgery can do it. It is not cancer and hence there is no need of oncological surgeon.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please do write back to me if you have further queries.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more concerns.

Regards.