Should I give pneumococcal vaccine to my baby?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

I have a baby boy who is 5 weeks old. We are about to give him his vaccinations for Hib, DPT, IPV & Hep B.
Need to know whether the Pneumococcal Vaccine should be administered to him as well or not? What is the benefit of doing so? will there be any serious concern if we chose not to administer this vaccine?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advantage of PCV vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Dear Parents
Thank you for asking this question regarding your baby.
Vaccinations is meant for prevention of lethal diseases.If you give all vaccines it is in your benefit. You are protecting your baby from suffering and sometimes hospitalization can be avoided. Pneumococcal PCV is very much effective against pneumococcal bacteria causing Pneumonia,otitis media and Meningitis.Only it is a bit costly but definitely safe and protects against deadly diseases .
It is your own decision which matters do you want to protect your kid or not? because once pneumonia or meningitis occurs not only the treatment is expensive but there is a treat to life as well.Think and decide wisely.