Should I give antibiotics for wax discharge in my child's ear?

Hi. We are on a beach holiday and my 11 month old baby started to rub at his years, more so on the right side. There is also quite a bit of wax coming out of this side (at times with a slight smell though not as strong as in otitis externa which he had when he was little). No other discharge. No other symptoms - he sleeps well, eats well, no fever; just slightly more cranky. A local nurse looked into his ears and said they are both slightly red. I'm reluctant to start him on antibiotics yet. He also loves to be in the pool and splashes a lot, ie there's a chance that pool water went into his ear. What do you think? Should I wait a couple more days then reassess or start him on antibiotics now? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can wait , starting antibiotic drops wont hurt Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX You can surely wait as there are no other symptoms. You can hold on oral antibiotics but there is no harm in using ear drops with antibiotics and mild steroids. This will take care of minor local infection and also inflammation. Avoid too much of water getting inside the ears.You can use ear plugs if he is comfortable and lets you use it. Hope this helps.Regards.