Ask a Urologist   »  

Should I get polyp fingertip size tumor in bladder removed? How much will it hurt while cutting and cauterizing?

a urologist says for 315 dollars to come to his office and get the polyp fingertip size tumor in my bladder removed, will give me solution in bladder and pergaset only. includes biopsy, afterwards cystoscope each 3 mnths for 2 years to check. yet another doctor says 295 dollars just for a consult. the first doctor saw the tumor with cystoscope. but he wants to schedule removal after christmas. he says i can excercise and do what i want that it won't effect whether or not it would spread. is there something wrong with this picture? how much will it hurt when he cuts and coterizes it. is that not a fair question?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 10 hours later

Please get your bladder mass removed cystoscopically as early as possible because it may be cancer.

This procedure is known as TURBT (Trans Urethral Resection of Bladder Tumor). Don't wait, otherwise god forbid, if it is cancer it may spread to other areas. Your urologist will remove the tumor and send it for histopathological examination.

Treatment will depend on your biopsy report, staging and grading of tumor.

Hope this helps. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Should I get polyp fingertip size tumor in bladder removed? How much will it hurt while cutting and cauterizing? 1 hour later
he set a date for 12/15 at 1pm. office says they need to their equipment set and that is the date. that is what they said. again it is no general aneshesia. I have no insurance but I don't know why they won't schedule me in the hospital. Is it ok to accept this date or should I go to emergency or try to get it faster, or not accept any procedure in an office (should it me surgical center only) that is my question
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
It is better get the procedure done in a hospital under general anaesthesia so that tumor can be removed completely.
It is also important that you get it done by an experienced urologist who does this procedure regularly. If done properly and if the tumor is superficial, this surgery can be curative
You can wait for a couple of days for the procedure. There is no need to rush to the ER as of now. However, it would not be advisable if you wait for a month or two.
I hope I have answered your query.