Should I get a blood test done for confirming pregnancy if I am spotting?

I had what seemed to be a light period that lasted only a day about a week after having intercourse. The next day afterwards I was spotting a little, but the blood was a brownish color. I thought that I had had an early miscarriage, but I am still having pregnancy symptoms and I am late by a few days. I took a pregnancy test yesterday morning and the results were negative. If and when should I test again or should I make an appointment for a blood test?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 9 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Spotting could be due to implantation bleeding which is an early sign of pregnancy.
Urine pregnancy test may not show the results so early as it detects the level of hormone HCG in urine which might not be present right now.Wait at least for a week after the expected date of the periods and then get a Blood HCG test done to rule out pregnancy as it is a confirmatory test for pregnancy determination.

If you suspect to be pregnant kindly avoid intercourse and any strenuous activity.

If the bleeding becomes heavy or there is any unusual symptom consider visiting your Healthcare Provider for evaluation.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for any follow up query.