Should I do leg lunges when I have osteoarthritis in both feet?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have osteoarthritis in both feet. It is painful to do left leg or right leg lunches, because there is strong pressure on the toes. However, I'm wondering if perhaps the pluses outweigh the minuses, because the toe is forced to stretch. I also do yoga, and many of the positions put weight on the feet.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Osteoarthritis refers to age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and toes and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
Doing yoga and other toe movements although put a pressure on your toes but is definitely beneficial for your bone health. Just take care not to overdo anything and you can consult an expert physiotherapist regarding the specific exercises that will be more helpful for you.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Should I do leg lunges when I have osteoarthritis in both feet? 57 minutes later
Is it a good idea to wait a day to do more yoga if soreness persists for more than 24 hours?

P.S. Thanks so much for your help!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. In the times of pain, exercise is not advisable. You must get some pain killers prescribed by your orthopedician for pain relief. Doing hot fomentation will help in early recovery. After the pain subsides you can resume the exercise.
Hope my answer is helpful.