Should I continue using tear eye drops for dry eyes after LASIK surgery?

I got LASIK done in the year 2010. I was advised to use optive eye drops for dry eyes. I used it for couple of years. now from past one year I am using just tears eye drops. I still have dry eyes. I am not sure why!! My eyesight seems to be fine. Please advise if it is fine to continue using drops. if yes for how long??
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Dry eyes following LASIK Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. LASIK is one of the most common refractive laser surgery performed to correct refractive errors. Dryness of the eyes is one of the most common problems experienced by the people undergoing LASIK surgery in the postoperative period. As high as 95% of patients will require treatment by artificial tears in the postoperative period to correct dryness of eyes. More than 90% of them will improve by 6-12 months. However a less proportion of patients require treatment for a long time. The dryness following LASIK surgery is because of the fact that the surgery will disrupt the corneal sensations which lead to decrease in tear production by the lacrimal tear glands. As the corneal sensations improve over a period of time, dryness of eyes improves. It seems you are having dryness of eyes for which you are on treatment by artificial eye drops like optive and just tears. The artificial tear eye drops are very safe without any significant side effects, hence you can continue the artificial eye drops for a long time. The exact duration for which you need to use the eye drops depend on the response of cornea to LASIK surgery normally time required is 12-18 months. Since you have undergone surgery almost three years back, the options of treatment for you are 1. Artificail tears eye drops, which you are using now 2. Punctal occlusion by punctal plugs 3. Use of antiinflammatory eye medications You are using artificial eye drops and you can continue using them. Punctal occlusion can be considered for you as you are having the symptoms for last three years. Antiinfalmmatory medications are used only in severe cases, as you are having a milder variety, this is not required for you. Hope I have answered your query. Hope the information helps. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K
Follow-up: Should I continue using tear eye drops for dry eyes after LASIK surgery? 6 hours later
Hi doctor. thanks for your reply. I have minimal dryness. In a day I use around 4 drops of just tears eye drops compared to 8 to 10 drops earlier. I am not sure what Punctal plugs are. Do you think its really necessary for me at this stage?? I spend most of the time in front of computer. And I believe this may the cause. Your suggestions ??? The one major time I feel like using eye drops is when I have lack of sleep.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can continue artificial tears. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the follow up query As you are comfortable with use of 4 drops of artificial tears compared to 10 drops earlier, this indicates that dry eyes is getting better and hence you can continue using artificial eye drops. Since you also spend most of your working time in front of computer this may be the cause for your dryness or it may be increasing the dryness. The treatment of dryness of eyes caused by seeing computer monitor is by artificial tears as you are taking now. Along with using eye drops you can follow few tips like Avoid using air conditioner and fan directly directed towards the eyes Take frequent intervals while using computer, at least 2 minutes break after working for one continuous hour Do frequent blinking in between while using computer Place the computer monitor level, slightly below the level of your eyes Adequate sleep Punctal plugs are small plugs inserted into lacrimal punctum which drain the tears from the eye so that the drainage of tears are retained for a longer time in the eyes and thereby to prevent dryness of the eyes. Punctal plugs are indicated in cases where artificial tears are not able to relieve the symptoms of dryness completely. Since your symptoms are getting relieved by artificial tears and you are comfortable with artificial tears, Punctal plugs are not needed for you. It is normal to have dryness of eyes when you have inadequate sleep, hence no need to worry. Hope I have answered your query. If you any other queries I will be happy to answer. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K