Should I continue to give Metrogyl for running stools?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter of twelve and half years have running bowels; today she went to latrine 5 times. Her stool is foamy liquid with semi-solid type. Now I have given her a half tablet of Metrogyl 400. She had a nephrotic syndrome 2 years back (5th episode). Is the medication OK. Should I continue with the medicine? S XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: no metrogyl is not needed Detailed Answer: Hi, No,metrogyl is for amoebic infection or giardia infection. It is not to be used in this case. Give her plenty of fluids like plain water, electral water ( electral or electrobion sachets mixed with clean boiled water in the proportion written on the cove), tender coconut water. Give her bland diet like curd rice,. Watch for 2 days. If the stools have. Blood or mucus then give it for testing in the lab. Mostly these are viral infections and will get better in 3-4 days time with only fluid replacement . God bless Dr Uma