Should I continue taking prednisone while suffering from stomach upset?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have been taking prednisone 10 mg following instruction by taking by mouth 6 tablets on day 1-2,5 tablets on day 3-4 4 tabs. on day 5=6, now iam on day 5. Now I am having stomach upset. should I keep taking and finish 1 tab. on day 11-12. Thanks YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depends on whether you are vomiting. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. It would appear that you were initially on 60mg of prednisone and have been gradually reducing the dose. It is important that the dose is not suddenly reduced. If your stomach upset has caused vomiting then this may lead to failure to absorb the correct dose of steroid. Therefore, I suggest that if you are vomiting then you should not actively reduce the dose. You should try to continue a constant dose until your vomiting stops. If you are not vomiting then you can reduce the dosage as planned. You have not mentioned why you are on steroids. This information may help me to answer any further questions you may have. I hope this is of help. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow-up: Should I continue taking prednisone while suffering from stomach upset? 16 hours later
I am not vomiting so I continue to follow the dosage. I had steroid injection because my PCP temporary stop my arthritis symptom and pain ,I am only having injection twice not any more. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue to decrease dose. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for this further information. I would recommend that you continue your decreasing dosage regime that your doctor initially advised. I hope you feel better soon. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger