Should I continue on antibiotics? Streptococcus ear infection, prescribed Diclocil, ear pain, pressure in ear, noise in ear

I have a streptococcus ear infection which I have been given antiobiotics (Diclocil) for.
The doctor diagnosed this last Tuesday (21st), and said I should take 2x 500mg dicocil morning and evening for 7 days. And I should expect to feel better within a couple of days.

This is the last day I have Diclocil for. I do feel better than I did a week ago, but my ear still hurts, and I have a continuous pressure/throbbing in the ear. There is also a continous sound in the ear, like hissing or white noise, which kind of makes it spread out from the ear into a headache.

So the question is, should I be worried that my ear is still not well? Should I continue on antibiotics?
Is it safe to just wait and assume it will improve soon?

Illness history:
started with soar throat last saturday (18th), swallowing painful, generic cold symptoms
the pain gradually "moved" to the ear. ear got worse, throat got better.
by Tuesday 21st ear was very painful, high pressure. I threw up twice. "Eargoo" yellowish, slightly red fluid started running out of my ear. Fluid kept running slowly continously for several days.
Started Diclocil by doctors prescription. Doctor thought eardrum had broken, but couldn't really see because my ear was full of infected puss, and earcanal was very red he said.
By Friday 24th fluid mostly stopped. Ear got less painful, but still throbbing. Painful at night all week. Can't sleep without painkillers.

Female, 31, normally healthy, skinny, regularly excercising, vegan.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for submitting the question
Your problem is acute middle ear infection called as acute otitis media and in 85% of people suffering from this problem,bacterial infection is the cause.
The treatment is antibiotics for 7 to 10 days and generally it resolves by hen.
In few cases the resolution of infection is not complete and it takes another 2 to 4 weeks for complete resolution.
This problem classically starts with upper respiratory infection which travels Into middle ear.
Severe infection causes build up of pressure resulting in rupture of ear membrane.
Ruptured membrane generally heals of it's own.
The hissing sound is due to tinnitus resulting from fluid inside middle ear.
Consult your doctor for regular antihistaminics and anti inflammatories for a week.
You shall be all right gradually.
I hope to have answered your query.
If anything more is required,revert back to me.
Thanks and good luck.
Follow-up: Should I continue on antibiotics? Streptococcus ear infection, prescribed Diclocil, ear pain, pressure in ear, noise in ear 1 hour later
Hi thanks for the reply.
Yes a week ago my doctor said it was streptococcus bacterial infection.
I have already been on antibiotics for 7 days. But it is not resolved. My ear still hurts and keeps throbbing.
Are those 7 days of antibiotics enough? Can I expect it to continue to heal if I don't have any more antibiotics?
Or do I need more antibiotics for it to continue healing since it is not resolved after these 7 days?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
You may take antibiotics for 3 to 5 days more.
Even if some throbbing or pain persists after taking antibiotics for another 5 days,do not be alarmed as resolution may not be complete and may take another 2 to 4 weeks for complete healing.