Should I continue antibiotics if I have chest/nasal congestion?

I am 62, BP:128/88; Blood sugar: 118/155(fasting/PB); do regular walking0r treadmill for 20 minutes at 5.5kmph; Wt: 70 kg

Recently i had severe cold/ sunusitis; I was prescribed Erithromycin 250 mg for 5 days with antihistamine; Even after 15 days, still I have chest/nasal congestion ; the mucous is white , viscous; do i need to continue antibiotics ??
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 47 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for posting your query

Chest/Nasal congestion can be due to viral infection.Cold and allergy to different substances which are the most common reasons and other than that a prolonged chest infection can be due to Bronchitis or any Lung disorder.

Since you have already taken a course of Antibiotic ,there is no need to repeat it as if it would have been a viral/bacterial infection it must have been cured by now.

If you do not have any other symptom of sore throat,phlegm production,cough,fever etc then most likely it seem to be due to allergic condition which is being aggravated by the climatic changes in the city.

In such cases Nasal Sprays containing steroid are presecribed which help in clearing nasal congestion and along with that any expectorant for chest congestion.

Some measures for you:
1)Take steam inhalation after adding "Karvol Plus" in the water 3 to 4 times a day.
2)Use Nasal Saline drops and put 4 drops in each nostril thrice a day.
3)Take Vitamin C tablet once a day for few months.
4)Consume lots of fluids and vitamin C XXXXXXX fruits as Oranges,lemon,gooseberry etc.
5)If you take Non Veg have Chicken soup a it helps in relieving chest congestion.
6)Make a pack of fenugreek seeds and cloves and roast them,place them in a cloth and keep on throat and chest for few minutes especially during night.

If the symptoms persist even after 5 days then consider visiting an ENT specialist for chest and throat examination and appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.